As with all expensive things, jewellery needs proper care and maintenance to ensure it lasts as long as possible. Whether it’s your wedding ring you wear every day, or a necklace you only wear on special occasions, there are cleaning methods and steps you can take to ensure their sparkle lasts as long as possible.
It’s worthwhile to note that certain techniques work best for certain types of jewellery, for example, what works with gems is different from what works best for pearls. As your jewellery is of high value you should continue with care.
How To Clean Silver Jewellery
There are many different types of commercial silver cleaners on the market to clean all silver items, including liquids, pastes and wipes. These products can have a chemical reaction with the tarnish on the surface of the silver, breaking down the tarnish and gradually lifting it away.
To use a commercial silver cleaner, you typically apply the product to a clean, soft polishing cloth or paper towel and then rub it over the surface of the silver. The product will work to remove the tarnish and restore the shine to the silver. Once you have finished cleaning the silver, you should rinse it thoroughly with water and dry it with a soft, dry cloth to remove any residue from the cleaner.
Homemade Remedies To Clean Silver
A Homemade Cleaning Solution
Combine 1/2 cup cold water, 1/2 cup white vinegar, and 1 tablespoon of baking soda in a bowl. Stir the solution until the baking soda is dissolved. Place the silver jewellery in the bowl and let it soak for a few hours. Rinse the jewellery with water and dry with a soft cloth.
Use A Toothpaste And Baking Soda Mixture
Mix a small amount of toothpaste with a pinch of baking soda to create a paste. Apply the paste to the silver jewellery and gently polish your silver with a soft-bristled toothbrush. Rinse the jewellery with water and dry with a soft cloth.
Polish With A Soft Cloth
If your silver jewellery is only slightly tarnished, you can try polishing it with a soft, lint-free cloth. Rub the cloth over the surface of the jewellery to remove any dirt or tarnish.
How To Clean Gold Jewellery
- Gather your materials: You will need a small bowl, mild dish soap, a soft cloth and hot water.
- Mix the soap and water: Combine a few drops of mild dish soap with warm water in the bowl.
- Soak the jewellery: Place the gold jewellery in the bowl and let it soak for a few minutes.
- Gently scrub the jewellery: Using the soft cloth, gently scrub the jewellery to remove any dirt or grime. Be sure to pay extra attention to areas where dirt and grime tend to build up, such as around gemstones or in crevices.
- Rinse the jewellery: Rinse the jewellery thoroughly under warm water to remove any soap residue.
- Dry the jewellery: Pat the jewellery dry with a soft cloth or allow it to air dry.
- Store the jewellery properly: Once the jewellery is dry, store it in a safe place, such as a jewellery box or a jewellery pouch. Avoid storing it in areas where it may be exposed to moisture or direct sunlight.
It is also recommended to have gold chains and types of gold jewellery professionally cleaned and polished by a jeweller every 1-2 years.
How To Clean Diamante or Diamond Jewellery
To clean your precious diamonds, it is recommended to use a mild soap, such as laundry detergent, mixed with warm water. Diamonds are a relatively hard and durable gemstone, but they are also brittle and can be scratched or damaged by abrasive cleaners. As baking soda is a mild abrasive it could potentially scratch or dull the surface of the diamond, that’s the last thing you’d want to happen to your much-loved diamond rings!
Follow These Steps To Clean Your Diamante Jewellery At Home
- Create a cleaning solution by mixing equal parts warm water and mild dish soap. Soak the diamond in the solution for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse the diamond thoroughly with warm water to remove any soap residue.
- Dry the diamond with a soft cloth or towel.
- If the diamond is especially dirty or has not been cleaned in a while, you may need to repeat the process a few times.
- If the diamond has any scratches or blemishes, you can try using a diamond polishing cloth to buff out any imperfections.
How To Clean Pearls
To clean your pearls, all you will need is a soft cloth, mild soap or detergent, warm water and a soft toothbrush.
- Mix a small amount of mild soap or detergent with warm water in a bowl.
- Dip the soft cloth or chamois into the soapy water and gently wipe down the pearls.
- Rinse the pearls under warm water, making sure to remove all soap residue.
- Pat the pearls dry with a soft cloth.
- Store the pearls in a soft, padded jewellery box or bag to protect them from damage.
It’s important to note that you should not use abrasive cleaners or harsh chemicals on pearls, as they can damage the surface. Avoid exposing pearl necklaces and pearl jewellery to harsh light or heat, and do not wear them while using hairspray, perfume, or other beauty products as this could contribute to their wear and tear.
How To Clean Oxidised Jewellery
You can try using a soft-bristled toothbrush and a mild dish soap to gently scrub the surface of oxidised jewellery. You can also use a cloth dipped in a mixture of warm water and a few drops of vinegar to gently clean the piece. This can help to remove any dirt or grime that has built up on the surface of the jewellery.
There are many commercial jewellery cleaning solutions available that can help remove tarnish and dirt from oxidised jewellery. Follow the instructions on the product packaging for best results.
If the above methods do not work, you may need to take your jewellery to a professional cleaner for a more thorough cleaning. This can be more expensive, but is often the best option for heavily tarnished or damaged pieces.
What Is The Best Way To Clean Tarnished Jewellery?
To make a homemade cleaning solution for your tarnished silver or gold jewellery, combine equal parts water and white vinegar in a container. Soak the jewellery in the solution for a few minutes, then use a soft toothbrush to gently scrub it. Rinse the jewellery with warm water and dry it thoroughly before wearing it again.
7 Tips To Take Care Of Your Jewellery To Make It Last Longer
- Avoiding situations where your jewellery could be exposed to extreme heat, humidity, or sunlight. For example, do not leave your earrings or necklace on when you are blow drying your hair with a hairdryer. Avoid leaving your jewellery on window sills as they could be affected by sun exposure.
- Remove your jewellery before participating in activities that may damage it, such as swimming, exercising, or doing household chores. The wear and tear of your jewellery may not be noticeable immediately, but after repeatedly wearing it while doing these activities you will notice a big difference.
- Avoid wearing your jewellery while applying makeup, lotions, or perfumes. These types of products can tarnish or damage your jewellery. Again, this is one which will happen gradually over time, but it’s definitely worth avoiding when possible.
- Clean your jewellery regularly using a soft cloth or a jewellery cleaning solution. Avoid using abrasive materials or harsh chemicals to clean your jewellery, as these can cause damage. Depending on the piece of jewellery, refer above to learn the correct way to work with the various types.
- If you have a piece of jewellery with a lot of intricate details or delicate stones, consider taking it to a professional jeweller for cleaning and maintenance. As dirt or grime can be harder to reach in these pieces, it may build up over time. A professional cleaning will be able to clean these hard to reach areas, avoiding the gradual decay of the piece.
- Keep your jewellery organised and separate from other pieces to prevent them from tangles and damage. If you have a piece of jewellery that is prone to tangles or damage, you should consider storing it in a separate box or pouch to protect it and prevent tarnish.
- Keep track of any warranties or guarantees that come with your jewellery. If you need to have your jewellery repaired or replaced, these documents can help you get the best service possible.
At Bannon Jewellers, our pieces are built to last generations. As a family-run business, we specialise in creating high-quality jewellery that can be passed on and treasured for years to come. Shop our Best Sellers, Bannon Silver Collection, our Birthstone Collection, and our Pearl Collection, all of which are designed to be loved and cherished by all.